Saturday 21 June 2014

The Rugby Club plays a dead bat

In Teasing the Rugby Club I wrote about .... my plan to use sponsorship of a bike ride around the Borough to prompt the Club to improve its connection to the Cinder Track.

The ride was a success and so I gathered in money from my generous sponsors and sent off the following letter.



(click to enlarge)

and a few weeks later got back the following reply


(Click to enlarge)

Not quite what I'd envisaged - shortchanged by my romantic imagination yet again - but at least something to get to work with.

But, I need to think about what to say or do next so be prepared for this post to change....

It's now a few days later and I've had a chance to think. The Rugby Club's reply thanks for me for my contribution to the "upkeep of the pathway" whereas the intention had been for it to go towards a fund for its improvement. The difference may be subtle but it's real. That's why the post got the title it did.

 For those few readers who don't recognise the expression "playing a dead bat" it comes from cricket and arises when a batsperson, for tactical reasons, simply stops the ball without attempting to hit it any distance. It amuses me to apply it to a Rugby Club - A squeometaphor if you like -. In this case the Club appear to have neutralised my not too cunning plan by accepting the money and then not quite putting it to the longer term purpose intended.

So, I'll wait and see if their promised work gets done and then ask them about the fund. Has it been established? What are their longer term plans to get the path up to scratch*? 

* yet another sporting metaphor again with its origins in cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment