Tuesday 4 June 2013

Circling the circle again

In "Circle to Circle" I described a simple mountain bike ride around Scarborough. Last week I found myself going around the route again but this time not on a dedicated mountain bike but on a slick tyred hybrid, albeit one with good brakes, and found that it was all perfectly do-able even the steep descent down the Holbeck Hotel landslip into South Bay.

I also took with me an old Kodak digital camera that I found in a drawer and, despite getting hopelessly confused about the settings, took at least one decent photograph.

Quite why The Mere is so quiet I'll never know

I also took a rather better picture than last time of what would have been the day trippers' first view of Scarborough as they emerged onto Londesborough Road from the old Excursion Station.

This house has yet to be divided into flats

Up in Scotland they get a Haar (a fog that's pulled off the cold sea by warm air rising inland) We call ours a Fret and it sometimes means that a bright warm day a couple of miles inland is a chilly damp one at the coast. 

The Fret has almost completely lifted from South Bay

To be honest, I didn't make it all the way around because I found myself chatting to Steve Crawford, the most visible member of the town's surfing community, about proposals to put rock armour in front of the sea wall at the Spa, and I still had to get to the shops to buy something in for tea. 

It's a life....




No comments:

Post a Comment