Tuesday 26 February 2013

The world's simplest religion?

A few years ago I was with friends on the Isle of Man and was impressed by the ruins of St Peter's church in Peel. It struck me that the shell of the church, rather than fetishising the works of man,  simply drew attention to the world around it. As one thing leads to another I found myself coming up with a simple liturgy to go with it.

Priest "It's God what done it"

Response "Enough said"

Priest "Whatever"




That's it, the entire liturgy. It doesn’t attempt to define the nature of God, nor does it claim to be able to speak on God’s behalf. It simply acknowledges God’s existence, be it singular, plural, corporeal or mystical and his/her/its responsibility for stuff that happens to happen. That’s it. No second guessing as to purpose and certainly no claim to know what he/she or it might say about anything.

Do I believe it? Could I imagine believing it? Is there any point in believing it? No I don’t. I suppose I could. There might be a point, but I doubt it. Indeed, I suspect that believing it would actually be an act of irresponsibility. Bad stuff happens. Never mind it’s God what done it. He/she/it is responsible and its nothing to do with me.

I’m writing this in a public library. The hushed quiet is augmented by the hum of PCs and the tapping of a keyboard at the Enquiries Desk. Alongside, by chance, is the Philosophy and Religion section of the reference library. Of the 10 feet or so of shelves, over a quarter is taken up by an Encyclopaedia of Religion. Words, words more and more words. All of them about stuff that nobody really knows but of which somebody somewhere is doubtless convinced.
Just where does this conviction come from? Is it the same sort of conviction as that possessed by several million Americans who believe they’ve been abducted by aliens? Is it the sort of conviction held by a few Stockport County fans when they sing that they’re the best team in the land? Is it a delusion or just a way of fitting in?

Whatever…..


No comments:

Post a Comment